Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Farewell

Lou Ann & I were off-island on New Year's Day when I received a telephone call from my daughter, Amy. She was distraught and told me that our neighbor, Brad Gaskill, in his early 30s, had died suddenly after taking a tumble from his bicycle. Brad was an unassuming young man who contributed to our community in quiet, but important ways.

Many of you have read my chronicle of the rehabilitation of my house. Brad was there many hours installing both new plumbing and central heating & air conditioning. A number of the vintage windows in the house came from his great-grandparents' island home. Several times he told me that he felt as though his great-grandfather was strolling through the house monitoring the progress of the restoration.

We all miss Brad and send our condolences to his family. A death in our island community, especially one so young, is a tragedy shared by us all.

This month's Ocracoke Newsletter is Jamie Tunnell's story about Dory Fishing on Ocracoke's Beach. Click on the link to read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment