Thursday, September 23, 2010

Autumnal Equinox

I seldom publish two posts on the same day, but I do today, so please don't miss my earlier post about the beautiful quilt being raffled by the Ocracoke Preservation Society.

Although my calendar lists today as the beginning of autumn, I believe the official moment of the equinox occurred just before midnight yesterday (Eastern Time). After the Opry last night Amy, David, & I were marveling at the spectacular full moon which was casting its warm glow on our quiet village. With a pair of standard binoculars we were even able to make out two of the moons of Jupiter (the bright "star" near the moon).

If your weather is clear tonight be sure to look up at the moon and Jupiter (it is about 400 million miles from earth!). If you have binoculars or a telescope take a closer look at both. They are truly amazing.

Happy Equinox to all of our readers!

Our latest Ocracoke Newsletter is the story of Ocracoke native Major General Ira Thomas Wyche. You can read the complete story here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news092110.htm

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:02 AM

    You have given me an idea-- as I walked through the parking lot at 3:30 am this morning, approaching my car to head for home, I two, noticed that bright object keeping the moon company--- I shall keep my binoculars in my car ready at hand to witness the daily star show, keep looking up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:34 PM

    Silly question time ... what star formations are easily viewed on Ocracoke in the summer? (Thanks in advance!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sorry to say that I do not know the constellations very well. Learning more has been one of my goals for years...maybe I'll make some progress this winter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:00 AM

    To answer the question, all constellations that are visible in the northern hemisphere in the summer are also viewed on Ocracoke.

    ReplyDelete