Friday, August 02, 2013

Hurricane Alex

Nine years ago on this day Tropical Storm Alex was rapidly intensifying. By the next day, August 3, Alex had reached Category 2 status. When the western eye wall passed over Ocracoke it brought wind gusts of over 100 mph, soundside flooding that inundated hundreds of automobiles, and significant beach erosion.

I thought my daughter Amy and her husband David might name their son, born August 2, 2004, Alex, but they were adamant. They would name him Lachlan. In spite of the damage from the storm, August 2, is an extra special day for us because Lachlan was born exactly 60 years after I was. (It makes it easy for me to remember how old I am!)

Happy Birthday Lachlan!

Our current Ocracoke Newsletter is an account of Infant & Childhood Mortality on Ocracoke. You can read it here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news072113.htm.

5 comments:

  1. August 2nd is by FAR the greatest day to have a birthday. IMHO, of course :-D Happy Birthday Lachlan. And... while I'm at it, Happy birthday to my brother Tim; born 4 years after me to the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:46 AM

    My son was born on the same day as my grandfather (his great-grandfather). Unfortunately, he passed away 8 years before my son was born...

    Happy Birthday Philip!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:07 AM

    happy, happy birthday to you, Philip, & to Lachlan!

    Bill & Sherrill Page
    Waldorf, MD

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4:48 PM

    What kind of a name is Lackland... I am curious. (SORRY BUT MY TABLETS AUTO SPELL CHECK WILL NOT LET ME SPELL HIS NAME AS IT SHOULD BE.. IT WANTS TO CORRECT IT) Where is that name common?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lachlan is Irish. Lochlan is Scottish. It means land of the lake. At least that's what I'm told!

      Delete