Monday, August 12, 2013

Meteor Shower

My alarm went off at 3 o'clock this morning. I staggered down stairs and stepped outside. I was hoping to spend an hour lying in my front yard scanning the heavens for meteors.

No such luck...the grass was wet, and the stars were obscured by clouds. Lightening flashed in the sky.

Last night and tonight are the prime times to view the Perseid meteor shower. Shooting stars will be visible about once a minute if the sky is dark and clear.

If you missed the cosmic display last night, as I did, you have one more optimal opportunity late tonight or early tomorrow morning before dawn.

To read more about the Perseid Meteor Shower follow this link:
http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2013/08/09/perseid_meteor_shower_2013_catch_the_falling_stars.html

Our current Ocracoke Newsletter is an account of Infant & Childhood Mortality on Ocracoke. You can read it here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news072113.htm.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:19 AM

    Thanks for the heads up. I was up till 2 am and the thought did occur to me to step outside - though a neighbor mentioned it earlier in the day --- in one ear out the other LOL tonite-- I make a written note and place it on the door. Good Luck

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been spectacular viewing here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got up again 3 a.m. Tuesday morning, and stayed outside for about 30 minutes. The sky was hazy and cloudy. Only saw one bright shooting star...and a few other barely visible ones.

    ReplyDelete