Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Pony Cart

I recently came across this vintage photo. It shows a typical mode of Ocracoke Island transportation before the advent of automobiles and paved roads.












Most people walked where they needed to go. Some went by horseback. But the two-wheeled pony cart proved to be a convenient way to travel, especially if there was a load to haul, a distance to go, or passengers to carry.

I am not sure who the people in this photo are, but this image, the best picture of an island pony cart that I am aware of, is part of the Ocracoke Preservation Society, Mary Ruth Dixon Collection. Many thanks to OPS and Mary Ruth for permission to share the picture.

This month's Ocracoke Newsletter is research into the origin of the Ocracoke Island Wahab family. You can read the article here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news022115.htm

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:15 AM

    The driver looks local but the dashing gent and the children with such poise look as if they are on a Vogue fashion shoot. If that charming little girl didn't have a modeling career I shall eat my hat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:52 AM

    It's the shoes that tag the children and the "dashing gent" as being from off-island. In those days islanders went barefoot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The comments made me smile. The charming little girl is my father Charlie Jones. The other boy his older brother Howard Jones. The man holding the rans in the hat is my grandfather Sam Jones. Ocracoke journal has a few entries on him if want to know more. He was an interesting island figure, but he didn't live here full time. He did have a number of houses and a hunt club on the island. The last man I have no idea. Maybe a business associate of my grandfather?

    Mary Ruth Jones Dickson

    ReplyDelete