Monday, September 28, 2015

Rain

By now, especially if you are on Facebook, you probably know about the copious amounts of rain we've had on Ocracoke over the weekend. Every low spot on the island was flooded. Howard Street, Lawton Lane, and many other streets have been barely passable. In fact, NC12 north of the Pony Pen was closed on Saturday because of flooding from rainwater and soundside overwash.

The road was re-opened early Sunday morning.

Here is a photo I took Saturday morning of the tide markers at Village Craftsmen. This is muddy, brown rainwater, not tidewater. 


















More rain is in the forecast, but with periods of sunshine as well. It will be good when we finally dry out!

This month's Ocracoke Newsletter is a reproduction of a 1960s booklet titled The Great Ocracoke Cat Hunt. You can read it here: http://www.villagecraftsmen.com/news092115.htm.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:57 PM

    Yuck. What sort of day-to-day implications does such high water necessitate, around the village, Philip? For example, at that depth are the roads even driveable, or would the water level flood engines/tailpipes? And what of ground-dwelling creatures; any typical influx of them seeking shelter in/on homes and businesses?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can drive on most roads with most vehicles, but there are deep puddles all around the village. The dampness must have shorted the windshield wipers on my pickup truck; they won't turn off without removing the fuse! I think the critters are managing. None have invaded my porch or the dry areas of my yard.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous4:07 PM

    thanks for the picture of the muddy water

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:36 PM

    We were down there years ago during Thanksgiving week and weathered a Nor'easter. I was surprised, pedaling my bicycle through one of those puddles, when my feet on my pedals plunged below the surface of the water--deeper than I thought. The water line on your stairs looks higher than what I recall from that Thanksgiving storm, though, but I hope that wasn't the case. Thanks (as always), Anon 12:57.

    ReplyDelete